'55 F600 Brake Conversion?

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

tbennett017

'55 F600 Brake Conversion?

Post by tbennett017 »

Hi,

I have a 55 F600 with the stock drum brakes on the front kingpin axle. This would be fine but I am pushing 16,000 lbs - and I have installed a new 460. She goes great, but stopping now is becoming a concern.

There is plenty of F100 stuff, but I am looking for any pointers/direction to do research on the heavier trucks... F350+ from that era. I'd love to do a disk conversion but I am wondering if the parts scale up any from the F100 stuff. I have 5 lug hubs but the rims are commercial Bud style with gigantic fittings.

Anyone? Thanks in advance!
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: '55 F600 Brake Conversion?

Post by basketcase0302 »

Try to search the members list above here for our member named Dolinik/Dolinick.
I do remember he had gotten a late 60's or early 70's F-500 or F-600, maybe he has some insight on the brakes?
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
two-bit
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: '55 F600 Brake Conversion?

Post by two-bit »

A couple of different ideas come to mind.

I do not believe anyone sells a "bolt on" disc conversion for your age of animal. Trying to piece one together would be tough, and i am really not sure if its possible.

That F-600 front axle used front drums all the way up into the eighties. I believe Ford did away with front drums (As standard equipment) when the first "Super Duty" line was introduced in 1994 ? Not sure.

Those Dayton wheels are not a "conversion " item. You have to change out the hubs to either BUDD hubs, or even newer, hub centric hubs.

If i was taking this on. I would go in search of a medium/heavy duty truck salvage yard. Go in armed with all the info you need. Distance between the spring perches, the width of the spring perch "pad" on the axle. The over all width of the axle. (Wheel mount surface to wheel mount surface across). Then steering geometry. (linkage in front or behind axle ?, pitman arm drops where ?).
Replace your entire front axle with something newer that has disc brakes, and will be way easier to find parts for.

I do know of a '63 F-350 that an owner did an entire axle swap (front and rear) from a donor '95 Super Duty Cab-chassis truck. He also swapped spring hangers, springs, and some of the steering components. It worked out really well for him.

As far as your current brakes are concerned, make sure your front drums are adjusted CORRECTLY ! I have seen way to many front drum trucks with very poorly adjusted front brakes. Front drums do work, but you can't treat them like disc brakes, two very different animals. If you have any questions about adjusting front drums, feel free to ask. I ran them for 20 plus years with no issues on my F-100, and my F-350

Good luck
Two-bit
Living life full throttle on the North Coast of America!!!

72' F-350, DRW, 360, NP435, Dana 70, 159" WB, P.S., P.B., 12' flatbed, 10,000 GVW.