for some work you need just the right tool...

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

cash667

for some work you need just the right tool...

Post by cash667 »

...and this is IT if you have to deal with loads of snow like we have right now in some parts of germany

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmK8uhKGF2s

:yt:
thats so awesome :thup:
is this guy around here? Even as I am no diesel fan - this truck build is really amazing... I´m a bit annoyed that I didn´t bought a 4wd. I think these tracks will work on a gas 460 too 8) :lol:

Cheers from cold germany
Chris
1968 Mercury Cougar 302
1968 Ford F250 Camper Special 429
two-bit
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: for some work you need just the right tool...

Post by two-bit »

cash667 wrote:...and this is IT if you have to deal with loads of snow like we have right now in some parts of germany

is this guy around here? Even as I am no diesel fan - this truck build is really amazing... I´m a bit annoyed that I didn´t bought a 4wd. I think these tracks will work on a gas 460 too 8) :lol:

Cheers from cold germany
Chris
Don't sweat it the no 4wd to much. Its just more parts to maintain and repair.
In the U.P. of MI we have a few local fire departments that have that track drive set-up on rescue vehicles. Mostly the Jeep Cherokee vehicles 1995-2000 models. 4.0L I-6, 5 spd trans, manual shift t-case (231 J), with drive slugs (No lock-outs) on the front differential. They are VERY agile in deep snow, fairly light weight, capable of seating 5 persons, plus emergency supplies. Some areas where i live can receive up to 300 + inches, (7.60 + meters) of snow per season.

I have helped with maintenance on one of these vehicles. The track system can be pretty hard on axle shafts, u-joints, wheel bearings and steering components. Constant maintenance to make sure those rigs are ready is a must.

They are very cool to see in action. The advent of this system has saved a lot of lives by allowing EMS personnel to get places in 30 to 40 minutes, instead of hours.
Two-bit
Living life full throttle on the North Coast of America!!!

72' F-350, DRW, 360, NP435, Dana 70, 159" WB, P.S., P.B., 12' flatbed, 10,000 GVW.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

="cash667"...and this is IT if you have to deal with loads of snow like we have right now in some parts of germany

Is this guy around here?

Even as I am no diesel fan - this truck build is really amazing... I´m a bit annoyed that I didn´t bought a 4wd. I think these tracks will work on a gas 460 too 8) :lol:

Cheers from cold germany
Chris
Yeah Brian is here, (but can't remember his username). He has a few more video's on his truck on utube, (one maybe on the Cummins install). :thup:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
cash667

Post by cash667 »

two-bit wrote:
cash667 wrote:...and this is IT if you have to deal with loads of snow like we have right now in some parts of germany

Cheers from cold germany
Chris
Don't sweat it the no 4wd to much. Its just more parts to maintain and repair.
In the U.P. of MI we have a few local fire departments that have that track drive set-up on rescue vehicles. Mostly the Jeep Cherokee vehicles 1995-2000 models. 4.0L I-6, 5 spd trans, manual shift t-case (231 J), with drive slugs (No lock-outs) on the front differential. They are VERY agile in deep snow, fairly light weight, capable of seating 5 persons, plus emergency supplies. Some areas where i live can receive up to 300 + inches, (7.60 + meters) of snow per season.

I have helped with maintenance on one of these vehicles. The track system can be pretty hard on axle shafts, u-joints, wheel bearings and steering components. Constant maintenance to make sure those rigs are ready is a must.

They are very cool to see in action. The advent of this system has saved a lot of lives by allowing EMS personnel to get places in 30 to 40 minutes, instead of hours.
Two-bit
Tow-bit,
all good - was just a kind of joke. I´m happy with what I got, no need for 4WD in the area where I live and winter like these days is once in 10 years.
It´s even much to expensive for me just for the fun of some days..

I can imagine that these tracks can by hard for the drive train, I now tracked vehicles from some times in Austria.

But I like this truck anyways. if Brian reads this thread - I would love to have some information on the drive train an axle components, just for interest.

:fr:

Cheers
Chris
1968 Mercury Cougar 302
1968 Ford F250 Camper Special 429
hot-rod

Post by hot-rod »

Chris,

i don't think we really need that in germany 8) For 10 cm of snow per year this is probably a bit exaggerated :evil: And please let me know when you go to the TÜV, I'll come with you :lol: