9" Casting Number Help

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

cumminskiller

9" Casting Number Help

Post by cumminskiller »

Hey guys, so my recently purchased project seems to be somewhat of a Frankenstein truck. The PO has away passed away so, I'm trying to figure out myself where some of the components came from. There is is no tag on the rear end. The casting number I've found is 9B28 with .. under the 9. From what understand the .. means it came from the 70s and the 9 would be the year then B28 would be February 28, which would've been a workday. Is this correct? Thanks in advance.
1967 Ford F100 Ranger 2WD Shortbed = Playtoy
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 6 speed = Towpig
2017 Ford Fiesta ST = Daily
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 9" Casting Number Help

Post by basketcase0302 »

"cumminskiller"Hey guys, so my recently purchased project seems to be somewhat of a Frankenstein truck. The PO has away passed away so, I'm trying to figure out myself where some of the components came from. There is is no tag on the rear end. The casting number I've found is 9B28 with .. under the 9. From what understand the .. means it came from the 70s and the 9 would be the year then B28 would be February 28, which would've been a workday. Is this correct? Thanks in advance.
Did the Ford axle ID pages here not help any? Pet peeve of mine when guys would remove the factory stamped tags on ANYTNING, (carb/axle/tranny/etc). :cuss:
There's also an old skool way you can get a close idea on the ring and pinion by jacking the axle and counting trhe revolutions of the DS yoke versus the revolutions of the wheel. :wink:

http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford01.htm
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
cumminskiller

Re: 9" Casting Number Help

Post by cumminskiller »

I agree. Why would you even take the tag off. I was able to get in touch with a Mercury Cougar guru he is all about numbers and originality. Apparently the .. under the 9 means it is the 2nd decade of production, meaning the the rear end is from a 69.

I couldn't find any help on the axle page.
1967 Ford F100 Ranger 2WD Shortbed = Playtoy
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 6 speed = Towpig
2017 Ford Fiesta ST = Daily