Feedback on replacement door locks and ignition kit

Moderator: FORDification

LeoZelig

Feedback on replacement door locks and ignition kit

Post by LeoZelig »

Good afternoon all,

My 69 F100 came with unmatched ignition and door locks, and the only key I received was for the ignition.

I needed to replace the door locks and decided since it wasn't much more expensive to replace the ignition cylinder at the same time, to get the complete set - then I'd have the truck back to a single key for doors and ignition.

I ordered the Dennis Carpenter kit C7TZ-8122050-A through Amazon.

My first impressions were good. Door locks seemed solid and well-built, as did the ignition cylinder. The door locks came with the correct arms on them, too, so no need to move them over from the old locks. The finish on the faceplate of the ignition cylinder had a small dent - not too noticeable, so I decided to live with it.

Installation was easy enough, and the door locks looked good and worked well. The ignition cylinder fit well, but would not lock in place. The little pin that is compressed with a paperclip to allow removal - it's either missing or jammed in the cylinder. So the cylinder won't lock in the receiver - turning the key past the accessory position allows you to remove the cylinder - no paperclip required :eek:

I paid a bit of a premium for good quality, and it seemed good overall, minus the defects. But at that price, the defects were disappointing.

I was willing to do a swap on Amazon, but it only allows returns - and the set is no longer available on Amazon to re-order. We will see how the seller does on the return, and I can report that on the vendor feedback forum.

In the end, I decided to put the original ignition cylinder back in. I picked up a cheap lock set from a local parts store, and I'll live with two keys - no biggie.

Hope that helps my fellow travelers decide whether the premium priced set is worth the extra cash.
-------
Chris
Project Thread: http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=96617
1969 F100 - Roy
SWB
3-on-the-floor and I hope to return it to 3-on-the-tree
49k on odometer... actual? Anyone's guess :)
jimmy828
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Feedback on replacement door locks and ignition kit

Post by jimmy828 »

I have separate keys but i don't mind it. My door locks would never work right so i replaced them. After about year of installing door locks my ignition lock malfunctioned so i replaced it.
LeoZelig

Re: Feedback on replacement door locks and ignition kit

Post by LeoZelig »

Thanks Jimmy - yeah, doesn't really bother me either. And Eckler's processed my Amazon refund with no hassle.
-------
Chris
Project Thread: http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=96617
1969 F100 - Roy
SWB
3-on-the-floor and I hope to return it to 3-on-the-tree
49k on odometer... actual? Anyone's guess :)