Pertronix Upgrade

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Bigcalhoun

Pertronix Upgrade

Post by Bigcalhoun »

Gents,
I installed a Pertronix ignitor in my stock ‘70 302. It wouldn’t start to I went back to the points and condenser and it fired right up. Turns out my coil has 1.3 ohms of resistance and the literature indicates 1.5 is required.

Any recommendations on what specs to look for in an upgraded coil (presumably a Flame-Thrower), other than 40k volts and 1.5 ohms? Any model recommendations?

Thx!
:fr:
'70 F100 Sport Custom, 302
pcmdub

Re: Pertronix Upgrade

Post by pcmdub »

It might be easier to just buy the pertronix coil to make it simple.

Just do NOT leave your key/ignition switch on without running the engine...eeek
Bigcalhoun

Post by Bigcalhoun »

One Pertronix coil on the way from Amazon. I’ll throw it in and report back.
Bigcalhoun

Post by Bigcalhoun »

New Pertronix 40k volt, 1.5 ohm coil installed with the Pertronix electronic igniter. A spark kicked up off of the battery when I went to crank it and I immediately shut it down. Double checked everything and can’t see where anything is loose or improperly installed. Any thoughts what could cause that? I’m hesitant to crank it again without knowing why the battery sparked when cranking.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

What are using for your constant 12v source to the Pertronix? I've had bad experiences with Pertronix twice. I prefer Duraspark. I also always install a 12v relay on all electronic ignition systems I install.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Bigcalhoun

Post by Bigcalhoun »

After tightening up the positive battery cable I fired her up and could tell the new coil and igniter made a huge difference. Much better accelerator response and the hesitation I’ve noticed for years is gone. Should have upgraded a long time ago.