Throttle linkage??

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Mcyoung4

Throttle linkage??

Post by Mcyoung4 »

Hello all
I have a 1970 f100 with a motor out of a 1986 6 cyl 300. Now I have what I believe is the incorrect mounting bracket that bolts to the cab.Either that or my gas petal is too short? Not sure best way to describe it the mounting bracket then the cable goes straight down approximately 2” to the gas petal rod. I am trying to find out what the proper linkage is suppose to be trying to find pics? Can anyone help me out??
Thanks in advance
:fr:
pcmdub

Re: Throttle linkage??

Post by pcmdub »

Post a picture from inside the cab. Then another of the firewall to the carb.
Mcyoung4

Post by Mcyoung4 »

I would love to but it won’t let me add pics it keeps saying file too large but I will keep trying.
pcmdub

Post by pcmdub »

basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

That's not OEM linkage, (something someone "cobbled" into the truck when they put the engine in).
Looks to me like it might work ok if the metal bracket is lowered to be straight inline with the cable?

Here's OEM 6 cylinder bracketry which pro won't help much:

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
pcmdub

Post by pcmdub »

Looks like somebody tried to convert your direct linkage to a cable. Bottom line, that doesn't look safe at all.

In the diagram Basketcase posted, you can see where the pedal rod ends and attached to the carb linkage. That is missing. So you have a few options. First you can find a factory assembly at the junkyard/eBay. Second, remove the cable assembly you have, fabricate a longer rod onto the existing pedal rod by welding/bolting a stronger assembly, then using a heim joint type linkage to the carb. Finally, you can purchase a new cable system from Lokar or similar outfit and make it fit but you may end up with similar issues.
Mcyoung4

Post by Mcyoung4 »

Thank you I will try to find the correct parts
This does help and the diagram does help. Thanks again