Exhaust Pricing

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Johnnewc

Exhaust Pricing

Post by Johnnewc »

I live in ND I have been calling around trying to find an exhaust shop to replace my exhaust from the manifolds then end just before the differential. To my surprise its going to cost me $400-$600 dollars. I called 8 places across the state and finally found one that would do it for $280 with good reviews. Are they building them out of gold or what! So does anyone know what the deal is? I've never paid for a new exhaust so is this normal? I was getting ready to hose clamp some beer cans on the exhaust. I could invest in a pipe bender and ride the struggle bus for a weekend at those prices. haha
pcmdub

Re: Exhaust Pricing

Post by pcmdub »

Yeah, it is not cheap. In my area, headers back to behind the rear wheels is about $1,000 in regular mild steel and $2k in SS.

My 17yr old pulled out the MIG welder and did it himself. He did find some super cheap pre-bent pieces that made it REALLY easy. They were not perfect but had the major bends already done. He just used the welder to tack them together but you could easily use clamps.

https://catalog.walkerexhaust.com/catal ... tus=ACTIVE

I believe that is correct for your 69 F100 with a 302. It does not show the front Y pipe, you will have to search for that.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

A friend bent mine up on my plow truck , 4x4 is a p.i.t.a. and dealing with rusty manifold studs is no fun.
I supplied the mufflers , and he charged me $300.00.
I was so happy I gave him another $50.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Don't "skimp" on exhaust or you'll regret it later. A reputable exhaust shop will provide you with a lifetime warranty on most all brand new exhaust they run from manifolds to exit. They will also take into account of future maintenance work and not jam the pipe against your starter, (yep I've even seen one shop make it to where the starter couldn't be replaced on a buddy's truck)!
New donuts/possibly new studs at the manifolds/at least 3 each X 2 new hangers / 2-4 new clamps and I'd pay no less than $400 here. :wink:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Johnnewc

Post by Johnnewc »

The plan for me is running two exhaust pipes from the manifolds down along the passenger side then end before the differential with glasspacks of course. I have to have room for the auxiliary tank the original was rusted out along with the skid plate. So I have to find a replacement because I just have to have 43 gallons of gas on board haha
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Good plan for sure on the need for the 43 gallons as with just my in cab tank I always had to carry fuel cans when on trips. :thup:
Maybe pay particular attention as to the shops plan on routing still as the DS pipe across/under the engine/tranny assembly as it might create issues with oil pan drain plug or other maintenance issues? :hmm:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4