what' everybody using?

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

F-100Ranger

what' everybody using?

Post by F-100Ranger »

I asked this in suspension, but no one responded, so I thought I'd ask here. I've lowered my 68 F100 long bed using a rear lowering bracket but don't remember what brand or how much I lowered it. If you want a long story - I started this project over 15 years ago, then went off to Iraq. I came back with PTSD, worked on two total house rebuilds and started graduate school so somewhere in there I kinda lost a lot of receipts and my recollection of what exactly I did. I remember I was going for the level look, but not to slam it. I'm not interested in bags, or air shocks, just a decent ride carrying my stupid ass and not much more. So indulge me guys - if I lowered the front using graduated lowering springs (I think the coil springs only claimed 2 inches, and with that rear lowering back bracket (I think 4 inches) what shocks should I use? I got a good friend waiting to help me finish putting the chassis together so we can lower the cab and bed back on. One more thing - the FE 410 has about 400hp and 500 ft lbs. of torque. Thanks in advance.
67 Austin Healey 3000- resto - subframe rebuilt so far
68 F-100 LB w FE410-in progress frame-off resto
02 Sebring Convertible- for top-down relaxation
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: what' everybody using?

Post by basketcase0302 »

="F-100Ranger"I asked this in suspension, but no one responded, so I thought I'd ask here. I've lowered my 68 F100 long bed using a rear lowering bracket but don't remember what brand or how much I lowered it. If you want a long story - I started this project over 15 years ago, then went off to Iraq. I came back with PTSD, worked on two total house rebuilds and started graduate school so somewhere in there I kinda lost a lot of receipts and my recollection of what exactly I did. I remember I was going for the level look, but not to slam it. I'm not interested in bags, or air shocks, just a decent ride carrying my stupid ass and not much more. So indulge me guys - if I lowered the front using graduated lowering springs (I think the coil springs only claimed 2 inches, and with that rear lowering back bracket (I think 4 inches) what shocks should I use? I got a good friend waiting to help me finish putting the chassis together so we can lower the cab and bed back on. One more thing - the FE 410 has about 400hp and 500 ft lbs. of torque. Thanks in advance.
From a 3rd generation Vet thank you for your sacrifice, (so...many folks just don't get it). :(

You might have to go back to the drop bracket manufacturer and ask for a recommendation, (even though I know of many hundreds of dropped slammed bumps I've seen here over the years). That should be a nice ride height. :thup:

Dang...the torque of that engine will be a frame twister!
Maybe invest into Goodyear tire stock lol! :lol:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I know I would for front if only lowered 2", the rear is questionable at 4" but I would be really tempted to just use standard shocks.

I recall some difference in early and late rear shocks (the way the top mounts i think) but you should be able to look the specs up on the stock shock and get then work with he shock manufacturer to get some similar but shorter shocks.

My truck has KYB's on it and I like them, Bilstein is my go to, but I'm not sure they have anything for our trucks.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
F-100Ranger

Post by F-100Ranger »

All good advice. I'm doing a full court press this weekend to find that folder of receipts...but in the interim found this guy in Colorado. He takes stock shocks and springs and rebuilds them to upgraded specs. A-1 Shock Absorber Company at https://www.shocks2springs.com/ford-pic ... f2-f3.html
jlcarr

Post by jlcarr »

I lowered my truck as well, and I used a suspension system from DJM. It has dropped spindles in the front to replace the Twin I Beam, and brackets for lowering the rear springs.

https://djmsuspension.com/
F-100Ranger

Post by F-100Ranger »

I got KYB shocks installed. After lowering 2/4 inches there's still full travel. We rebuilt the front cab corners and have set the cab onto the frame and are going to sign up the front cab mounts today or tomorrow. It's been over 15 years since I started the rebuild. when the cab comes back off for the mount weld up we're going to blast the bottom and back and paint it. I found a local guy who is doing metal ceramic coating so am taking the headers in next week. What's funny is I was ready to slap it together but a couple younger friends are getting into it and are insisting on doing some of this
F-100Ranger

Post by F-100Ranger »

I'm not signing up for anything...I meant to say align up