transmission swap

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

Blueford1

transmission swap

Post by Blueford1 »

Hello Fellas,

I'm looking to swap my 4-speed trans to a 5 speed because the granny gear is killing me. What are my options? (I'm also trying to keep it easy on the wallet.)

Thanks.
1970 F100/302 5.0/4 speed/ Ford9inch 3.70
Generalee0527

Re: transmission swap

Post by Generalee0527 »

What is your typical use? Daily driver? Weekend play toy? Show Queen? Work truck?
The quick and cheap would be swap in a 3 speed. You give up the low end grunt but it is still a truck. I have a '78 3 speed in my '68 Ranger and all I had to do was shorten my slip yoke about 1/2" but the original was a 3 speed. Might have to move Trans support if length is different.
68 Ranger. 302 Clevor w/ 3 on tree, soon to have front disc brakes.
Red Mercury

Post by Red Mercury »

Blueford1 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:12 pm ......because the granny gear is killing me.
I am curious about your comment--what do you mean? Just asking because the granny gear doesn't usually get used for normal driving since it is common to start off in 2nd.

I am planning on going a different route with my truck by installing a Borg Warner T-19 4-speed with the 4.02:1 ratio first gear. The T-19 is a bolt in swap for the Borg Warner T-18 or New Process 435 4-speed transmissions that were available in our trucks. Along with that I am going to try a 2.75:1 rear axle ratio which might be a little too high. In that case I will go back to a 3.00:1. The great thing about this is that the T-19 is a fully synchronized transmission, so with the ratios above I am hoping it ends up being a useful 1st gear for daily driving and along with the higher rear axle ratio there may be a small fuel economy gain. Under the hood I am using either a 390 or 460--still deciding on that since I have both at the moment. I call this my "poor man's overdrive"! I do wonder if the gap between the gears might be unacceptably wide with this set up, and I haven't found much information about other people who have tried it with this specific combination.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

You have it easier with a 302/Windsor there are a number of junkyard T5 and similar swaps on the Tube of You... Craiger 909 or something similar is one (though its technically not a T5)

There are also several videos on why you shouldn't use junkyard stuff ... No Question a new TKX or T56 swap from Silver State or similar would be the cleanest way - you'll be in it for 4-6000 though so it isn't for the faint of heart.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
SBR_GUY

Post by SBR_GUY »

I swapped my T18 for a Tremec TKX 5 speed. Silver Sport Transmissions is who i bought it through. OTD for $4K. Your could also do a Gear Vendor it is a bolt on Overdrive and I think it is around $1600. For both of the options above you will need to shorten your drive line and that could run $$$, I had an aluminum 4” single piece drive line made for my 67 longbed and it was $505, My highschool buddy owns a driveline shop in Ventura, CA.
Call me if you want more info on my trans swap. I just did it last week, just waiting for my drive line to come in.
I will DM you.
1967 F100 Styleside Longbed W/352FE. Tremec TKX 5 Speed.
:D :D
Just loving life.
SBR_GUY

Post by SBR_GUY »

Red Mercury wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:32 am
Blueford1 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:12 pm ......because the granny gear is killing me.
I am curious about your comment--what do you mean? Just asking because the granny gear doesn't usually get used for normal driving since it is common to start off in 2nd.

I am planning on going a different route with my truck by installing a Borg Warner T-19 4-speed with the 4.02:1 ratio first gear. The T-19 is a bolt in swap for the Borg Warner T-18 or New Process 435 4-speed transmissions that were available in our trucks. Along with that I am going to try a 2.75:1 rear axle ratio which might be a little too high. In that case I will go back to a 3.00:1. The great thing about this is that the T-19 is a fully synchronized transmission, so with the ratios above I am hoping it ends up being a useful 1st gear for daily driving and along with the higher rear axle ratio there may be a small fuel economy gain. Under the hood I am using either a 390 or 460--still deciding on that since I have both at the moment. I call this my "poor man's overdrive"! I do wonder if the gap between the gears might be unacceptably wide with this set up, and I haven't found much information about other people who have tried it with this specific combination.
I was talking about 4th gear, 60mph and 2800 rpm sucks. I made the swap to a Tremec TKX 5 speed and it is awesome.
1967 F100 Styleside Longbed W/352FE. Tremec TKX 5 Speed.
:D :D
Just loving life.