How to get a smoother ride?

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

jgf100

How to get a smoother ride?

Post by jgf100 »

So as the title says, I am trying to improve the ride quality of my 70 f100. I am not looking for late model quality, I get these are old vehicles, but still would like to decrease the rough feel of every bump or crack in the road, especially at higher speeds. When I hit a bump I bounce up and down in the bench seat. Aside from a CV swap, what other options do I have? I'm thinking about adding front and rear sway bars and they should help with body roll but will they help with the bumps?
'70 F100, 302 C4
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: How to get a smoother ride?

Post by cep62 »

Put about 500 lbs in the back, it'll help on snow and ice too. :D
Seriously if you don't haul a lot you can take a leaf or two out of the rear spring pack.
There might be a variable rate front coil spring that can soften the bumps .
What do you have for tires ? a P series radial might help too.
Sway bars will help handle corners , but not overall ride quality
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

:yt: Like CEP says.

My one ton rode best when I put 1000 pounds on it!
Tire pressure even effects my little SUV so play around with it too.
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
6Delta

Post by 6Delta »

What tires are you running and what kind of air pressure? A 1970 1/2 ton should ride fairly nice (compared to my 3/4 ton camper special). You will not get the same ride as a new pickup but it should be nicer than it sounds. You might want to check you shocks also. Age can make rubber parts get harder and shocks won't work as well, so what do you know about your suspension parts?

Really, if throwing some weight in the back makes a difference, sand is cheap and a couple of bags don't move around much. Back when your pickup was new it would have rode darn near like a car. I recently replaced the front springs and shocks on my pickup and am very happy with the ride. However the tires have real stiff sidewalls and it won't ride nice until they are replaced. I can tell when the tire pressure is low because it rides better (except for turning in a parking lot). Good luck and keep us informed.
No Brain - No Pain
71 F250 Sport Custom Camper Special
71 Ranchero Squire
70 Ranchero GT (Red w/351C 4V
70 Ranchero GT (Black w/302+)
03 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
74 Kawasaki H2 750 (Widowmaker)
75 Firebird 400
71 XKE FHC 4.2
04 XJ8 4.2