Headers For my fresh 390 fe

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

tg11350

Headers For my fresh 390 fe

Post by tg11350 »

Has anyone installed headers on their big block fe; in my case the '68 F-250 Camper Special with the aux. under-bed fuel tank? I'm reading where certain headers won't work because the fuel tank is in the way of the exhaust plumbing so I'm looking for your header recommendations. I'm asking because the last thing I do on my project will be to add the aux tank and I don't want an "Oh Crap", these headers don't work.

Thanks,

Tony
DuckRyder

Re: Headers For my fresh 390 fe

Post by DuckRyder »

I really think where headers are concerned the issue is the front sway bar that runs between the radius arms. If it is not there any header should work.

The Auxiliary tank affects the exhaust routing though, you'll have to run both pipes down the same side and this is usually accomplished by either standing turbo mufflers on their side or merging into one large pipe.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
6Delta

Post by 6Delta »

I went back to look at some old posts after I saw your question. I have Hedman long tubes on my F-250 but the PO removed the aux. tank because he had the exhaust ran by some cheap a** shop. They exit right square in the middle of the space between the drive shaft and the frame rail. He did run 2" pipe all the way but I will have to do some work to shift things over to get enough clearance. The Hedmans do fit the heads real well with no problems (except if I have to get to the starter). I have only replaced the gaskets 1 time since I have owned the pickup (2012 I think) and use Percy's gaskets from Summit. I do recall one member who had a lot of problems getting Flowtech headers to work. He had to cut the flanges and build up the flange surfaces to fix uneven surfaces. He did a whole lot of work and they came out nice. Most guys probably would not like to do what he had to unless the price was real nice. Other than that all I can say is good luck.
No Brain - No Pain
71 F250 Sport Custom Camper Special
71 Ranchero Squire
70 Ranchero GT (Red w/351C 4V
70 Ranchero GT (Black w/302+)
03 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
74 Kawasaki H2 750 (Widowmaker)
75 Firebird 400
71 XKE FHC 4.2
04 XJ8 4.2
yellercat

Post by yellercat »

tg, I put ,a real nice exhaust system from flowmaster on my 69 c/s and have the auxillary tank mounted. Using the hooker long tube headers.
the flowmaster exhaust is header back and designed to work around the extra tank. Sourced from the holley website and about 5bills.
Did try the Jeggs headers and they are a no go for our truck without modifications. Hookers worked fine even with the carby kickdown. Luck!
1970 F100 302 C-4 factory air