Oil Volume in Heads

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

zgerbic

Oil Volume in Heads

Post by zgerbic »

Finished up my CR measurements on the 390 and now looking at putting oil volume restrictors in the heads to cure the heads filling up with oil and to improve oil pressure/volume at the main bearings. Has anyone on this forum done this? If so, what diameter hole was in the restrictor you used (0.069, 0.070 or 0.080)?

I have not worked on FE engines in decades but remember the problem of excessive oil around the rocker assembly and oil being unable to drain normally in the heads (overflows out the pushrod holes). Running an engine with the valve covers off was always a mess.

Can any of you share your experience with old volume restrictors in the heads?
fastEdsel
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Oil Volume in Heads

Post by fastEdsel »

I have read your post a couple times and in all my years of FE and Y block experience I have never come across oil volume restrictors. Others on this site may have had different ideas but as I was at the parts distributor yesterday picking up my newly purchased hydrovac for the brake system on my '56 Chevy 3 ton truck I asked the tech about FE oil pumps. He said there are 2 choices, a high volume and low volume pump. It's just a suggestion but if your rocker covers are loading up with oil you may want to limit your driving to short trips because if the oil cannot get back to the pan it will starve the bottom end of your engine. I would pull the pan and check which pump you have. These engines run decent at 35-45 oil PSI. I run 10W30 oil year round in my FE's and when I rebuild them I always install re-man low volume oil pumps. The tech also mentioned the cost of a rebuilt low volume oil pump is about $36.
6Delta

Post by 6Delta »

I have not ever experienced any problems with oil drain back either. After I read your post thought I would look to see if this was something new in the FE world. All I came across was a few posts regarding some head gaskets that apparently had oil holes in the wrong places and requiring new oil passage hole to be either punched in the gasket or groove made to direct oil to the hole. That is not anything I ever came across. The issue of oil splatter with the valve cover off is something that I had had with any engine I have. My Pontiac 400 and small block Fords are basically the same in that respect. I usually cut the top off a valve cover so I could get to the rocker arms to set them. I usually went with a high volume pump (not high pressure) and added an extra quart of oil when I built up a FE for drag racing, but for normal use it wasn't needed.
No Brain - No Pain
71 F250 Sport Custom Camper Special
71 Ranchero Squire
70 Ranchero GT (Red w/351C 4V
70 Ranchero GT (Black w/302+)
03 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
74 Kawasaki H2 750 (Widowmaker)
75 Firebird 400
71 XKE FHC 4.2
04 XJ8 4.2
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

most people who restrict them put a holley jet under the tower, this was in vogue 10-12 years back for sure but i'm not sure Ross and Brent and the like on FEPower are still doing it.

I honestly don't remember if mine still has them in or not.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper