351 windsor headers

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Fordkid68
Preferred User
Preferred User

351 windsor headers

Post by Fordkid68 »

Hello, I am building a 68 2wd bump, and am going to put a 351w in it, and don't know what headers to buy. I've heard that shorty headers work, but I am hoping for long tubes.

They make them to fit a 302, but I was wondering if they would fit since the 351 Is taller and wider.

Does anybody have experience with this? Please let me know what worked for you, or if it's even possible to fit long tubes. Thanks in advance.

Also, I am planning a crown vic front end swap, so clearing the steering box shouldn't be an issue.
Adam

My first truck,
1968 F100 lwb 2wd soon to have a 351w, 5-speed
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 15#p771357
^^Build Thread^^
04 Subaru Outback (daily driver), with a 2.5l boxer H4
(no other projects, YET!)
"Might be crazy but I ain't dumb"!
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 351 windsor headers

Post by basketcase0302 »

Fordkid68
Hello, I am building a 68 2wd bump, and am going to put a 351w in it, and don't know what headers to buy. I've heard that shorty headers work, but I am hoping for long tubes.
They make them to fit a 302, but I was wondering if they would fit since the 351 Is taller and wider.
Does anybody have experience with this? Please let me know what worked for you, or if it's even possible to fit long tubes. Thanks in advance.
Also, I am planning a crown vic front end swap, so clearing the steering box shouldn't be an issue.
You've nailed it on the heads difference. Sorry I can't help with 100% being sure but could offer this advice.
Source the shorty headers locally and carefully fit them onto your mounted engine, (if the engine is mounted in the truck).
If they don't fit most places would refund your money for them, (if you haven't scratched the coating on them).

I'll also add this...spend the extra money and have your headers ceracoated before hooking them up-you'll be glad you did a year from now when they're completely surface rusted out due to heat cycling. :wink:

Maybe Jamie will hop in here, (haven't seen him in months) as I know he does have quite a bit of experience in our SBF's engines.
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Fordkid68
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Fordkid68 »

Thanks for the help. I do not have the motor in the truck yet
So I cant check fitment. And yes I will definitely have them cerakoted once I get some headers.
Adam

My first truck,
^^Build Thread^^
rabbithunter2005

Post by rabbithunter2005 »

BBK shorty headers for a fox mustang thats what im running thats all i know that fit. If you have manual steering or the later power steering box from mid 69 or 70 to 72 you should clear it no problem. If you have the old bendix unit from the early trucks if i remember correctly it just barely clears but i also still have big block frame pads which cause my engine to sit 1 inch higher than a normal small block. So there might not be any issues if your frame pads are correct.
1969 ford f100 351w aod
1967 f250 4x4 351c m50d
Fordkid68
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Fordkid68 »

rabbithunter2005 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:30 pm BBK shorty headers for a fox mustang thats what im running thats all i know that fit. If you have manual steering or the later power steering box from mid 69 or 70 to 72 you should clear it no problem. If you have the old bendix unit from the early trucks if i remember correctly it just barely clears but i also still have big block frame pads which cause my engine to sit 1 inch higher than a normal small block. So there might not be any issues if your frame pads are correct.

Thanks for the info, but I already bought some long tube headers hoping they will work. I got the cheapest ones I could find just in case they don't fit.

If they don't work I'll get some shortys.
Thanks
Adam

My first truck,
^^Build Thread^^