Multi-spark electronic ignition needs hotter plugs???? What have you used

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

SoCal250

Multi-spark electronic ignition needs hotter plugs???? What have you used

Post by SoCal250 »

Hello there's no such thing as a dumb question and I'm hoping that somebody had similar issues I have a protonix 3 billet distributor they advertised that it is a multiple spark discharge and that their units are like without the box or whatever they advertise it as it's a multiple spark that you can see on the timing light.

I was using the auto light 45 plugs and I started to go around with the timing light to each plug to see how they were firing and of course with the multi-spark you can see it on the timing light it's not just a one two three four type of spark like the points it's like a rapid jump from 1 to 10 all at once I guess that's the multiple spark discharge just like the old boxes that they used to use the MSD.

I had one plug that was not firing like the rest of them and I had to pull it out and I replaced it with an NGK you groove type of plug has anyone experienced any spark issues after going to like say a protonix or a HEI and they had to upgrade their spark plugs to a hotter plug than a auto light 45? If so what kind of plugs did you use I've always had kind of a choppy idle but then I do have a mild cam but I'm wondering if my plugs just have never been up to the task of that electronic ignition I'm gapped at 45 I have my initial set to 14 and I have an adjustable vacuum that's giving me 8°, so I'm running about 23-24° of timing at an idle, I'm just wondering if those multiple spark discharge like the pertronic 3 modules in that would burn out those auto light 45 plugs quickly?
SoCal250

Re: Multi-spark electronic ignition needs hotter plugs???? What have you used

Post by SoCal250 »

:? ...gee did I post in the wrong place ?
Well I definitely needed hotter plugs the auto lit 45 regular copper ain't cutting the mouseturd I have a 390 with comp 265 dual energy cam perteonix 3 dist and coil my voltage was battery at the pos coil 12 plus when charging it's at 14V. So no weak spark was gapped at 45 and pulled those out put some E3 in looked inside seem some gunk on the piston topps like cooked on cake engine only has 3,000 miles or so .
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Multi-spark electronic ignition needs hotter plugs???? What have you used

Post by cep62 »

So your plugs are fouling out ?
That's why you'd need a hotter plug.
A hotter plug won't keep deposits off the pistons .
If it's a fresh rebuild maybe the rings aren't seated in yet ?
I've run 45s in a lot of things , if they're fouling there's another issue.