Air Conditioning Options

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

KRob

Air Conditioning Options

Post by KRob »

I have a 71 F250....it may have a 4BT Cummins in it. I would really like to add AC.

What options do i have that are reasonably accessible and work well? Understand that what many of these kits suggest for Compressors and so forth are going to be different for mine with a 4BT.
What else am I missing, what have others done?
71 F250 4x4, 4BT Cummins Mostly Done...Project Thread http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=65450
(4BT, big block ZF5, 78 NP205, 78 Dana 44 Front axle, 4.10, 265/75/16, power steering, power brakes)
01 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins...turned up a little.
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Air Conditioning Options

Post by bluef250 »

You need to determine how you want to spend and proceed.

I think the hardest part will be to secure the correct engine brackets and belts that match both the engine and the compressor. The compressor, evaporator, dryer, condenser and rest all would be same as for any bumpside. Suggest that you use the newest refrigerant with compatible components. Make sure hoses are compatible - R-12 is very expensive and government requires a license to work on it. You should have a vacuum pump althouth the compressor itself can be used as a pump! R12 and R134a hoses and ports cannot not be used interchangeably. Also, spend the time to route hoses through the firewall and/or away from other mechanical components particularly the condensate lines. I find many articles on the net. Vintage Air is really popular - https://www.vintageair.com/basic-auto-a ... sor-facts/

R-1234yf is the latest development in auto cooling systems. It’s being introduced gradually in cars sold in the U.S., first in the 2013 Cadillac XTS and ATS, then Chrysler’s Fiat, and many more models are now adopting this type of refrigerant versus the old version — R-134a. From the net.

If you want to go OEM, I see AC units and components that are either stock or dealer add-ons occasionally on the net. I like the look of factory dash controls. in my "fleet" i have all three types - factory, dealer, and after market.

I do not want to buy gauges etc. so I go to a AC shop for service.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Old air is another one.

And retro air.

Autorestomod on you tube has some videos…
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
KRob

Post by KRob »

Bluef250. Thanks for the info. I was planning on going r123a just for simplicity.

Duckryder. Thanks for those two other options. I’ve seen the restomod video. Need to go back and watch the whole series again.

I’m thinking a kit from one of the companies. And talk to all of them about what they recommend on the engine/compressor side. I also need to spend sometime on 4bt swap and figure out brackets and options there.
71 F250 4x4, 4BT Cummins Mostly Done...Project Thread http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=65450
(4BT, big block ZF5, 78 NP205, 78 Dana 44 Front axle, 4.10, 265/75/16, power steering, power brakes)
01 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins...turned up a little.
davelj

Post by davelj »

Most companies will sell you whatever parts you need. I bought my Vintage Air system without the compressor. That let me use a compressor that fit my 94 351w AC/PS bracket and serpentine belt setup.
RGB

Post by RGB »

Well, nothing like using a $400k restoration for ideas.

Car and Driver site (other sites have different photos/details)
1970 ICON Ford F-100
49 photos
Photo 21 for control knobs - lower dash right of wheel, FAN - VENT - TEMP
Photo 24 for main vent - stole the control panel for dual side-by-side adj vents behind a CNC'd panel to match.
(other two vents are under the dash about 12" from each side, "just" out of sight)

Best ideas for underhood A/C systems come from RWD late model, mid-size, generic rental cars, etc.
Unlike 60's-70's cars where the A/C was made the "major focal point" with the hood open...
HVAC is usually low on passenger side, small metal tubing for all lines except the 2 short flex in/out to compressor.
(minimize rubber lines, compressor low on passenger side allows a short low line to dryer/condenser up front.
Low condenser line to HVAC or detour via wheelwell).

Attempting by spring...
Low alternator position for compressor on FE, double belt Alt->Compressor->Balancer->Water Pump
(Alt, Sanden, Water Pump have a dual V-belt pulley, Balancer has 3 grooves (future PS in 3rd).