Transmission Fluid Leak

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

cougswan

Transmission Fluid Leak

Post by cougswan »

I drove my truck 350 miles a few months ago and now it has been sitting in the garage for the last two months. I have noticed a transmission leak which is outlined in the attached photos. Anybody experienced this before? Do I just need a new gasket?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1970 Ford F250 390
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Transmission Fluid Leak

Post by bluef250 »

A couple things. First, can you live with the leak?

Seocnd, you have to find the leak.

Examine the transmission pan gasket or consider that pan is cracked. Either way, pull the cover and replace the gasket. Does the transmission shift as it should? If not look for debris in tranny fluild. Also, you may have a cracked case. Also, depending upon the location of the leak (I cannot tell from the photo) a seal on the shifter shaft, input shaft, or output shaft should be considered.

Good luck.
zgerbic

Re: Transmission Fluid Leak

Post by zgerbic »

I would start with a new pan gasket, but feel around above the pan for any other leakage coming down to the pan.

An important thing to do while the pan is off, besides looking for trash and fluid color, is to make sure the area around the bolt holes is flat. These areas often get bent up due to over-tightening the bolts. Once bent you have to tighten them harder to stop leaks and reach the point where even the gasket will not stop the leaking. Make sure the entire surface around the pan is flat and not warped. Then just tighten them to about 9 to 10 foot pounds, similar to a valve cover or engine pan. It is not real tight as the gasket is there to stop any leaks. After the trans has been hot a couple of times, check the tightness of the bolts and leave it alone.