1970 302 idle, run, timing issues

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Drewski+82

1970 302 idle, run, timing issues

Post by Drewski+82 »

What up fellow ford fellas? I’m new to this forum, so be gentle with me. What I’m about lay on y’all is going to be a lot so bare with me, we’ll get through this.

WHAT IT GOT
I recently bought a 1970 SWB F100 302 w/C4 from a friend. The engine INTERNALS are STOCK. All of the following is new stuff that was added by previous owner….
-Edelbrock AVS2 1901 500cfm carb w/ auto choke
-Edelbrock alum intake
-mech fuel pump
-distributor w/ vac advance(on manifold vac)
-Edelbrock max fire coil pack w/plugs(.035) & wires
-water pump & thermostat
-alt
-alum radiator
-valve cvrs
-fuel tank
-On the exhaust, cats were cut off and cherry bombs installed(the in cab exhaust drone is horrible)and there are 2 exhaust leaks with clamps installed.

WHATS THE ISSUE
The truck starts up perfectly, idles around 1000 rpm and is responsive when I rev motor, but when I put it in gear it dies. I can not get it to idle below 1000 rpm without it running rough or wanting to kill. When adjust timing on the distributor, the vac advance is hitting the radiator hose. I have tried multiple times to uninstall/reinstall the dizzy to give more room for adjustment with no luck. I feel like I’m a tooth off on the distributor.(recently found out the vac advance is F-ed and needs replaced).
When idling the exhaust fumes from the tail pipe are strong, the valve cover breather on the 1-4 side has a good bit of smoke coming out, and if I pull the oil dipstick a little smoke comes out(this leads me to believe a rebuild is on the near future). I checked/changed the spark plugs I noticed they were coked up. So thinking that I’m too RICH, I cut back on the idle mixture screws as far as I could. When I adjust idle mixture screw on the 5-8 side I see NO CHANGE in vacuum psi, but when adjusting on the 1-4 side vacuum psi changes as it should. I thought maybe the fuel pump psi might be too high, but it puts out 4-5 psi @ idle. Also, therefore is a hissing noise coming from inside the carburetor at idle.

WHAT I’VE DONE
-Broke down/rebuilt carb and adjusted per Edelbrock specs
-pulled/drained/washed out fuel tank
-replaced ALL rubber fuel hoses(not hard lines from cab to engine)
-replaced fuel filter with inline Edelbrock filter(between pump discharge and carb)
-replace spark plugs(first set was coked up)
-checked timing mark to TDC multiple times, remove valve cvr to verify
-adjust points in distributor
-uninstalled/reinstalled distributor(set 10 BTDC and 32 vac@2500)

Help me out fellas. I’m dying to get this buggy on the street
DuckRyder

Re: 1970 302 idle, run, timing issues

Post by DuckRyder »

Duplicate
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper