1971 Front bumper

Moderator: FORDification

71mishmash

1971 Front bumper

Post by 71mishmash »

I've been searching for a replacement front bumper that has the black horizontal pads and the bumperettes. I've not been able to find anything that has the proper mounting slots/holes for this style.
Am I crazy, or does no one make a repop of these? Was this not a popular option, could this be a bumper off of a different brand from that time or do I need to just buy a repop and give it the proper mounting locations for these add-ons? The one on the truck is bent and as I start to do things to this truck I'd like to have a straight front bumper. I'm going to try and make my own push bumper and if possible keep the bumper add-ons.
Does anyone have any info about this kind of bumper or am I not looking hard enough?
I appreciate any bumper feedback you guys can send my way.
Respectfully,
Sean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 1971 Front bumper

Post by cep62 »

It looks like you have bumper for an " Explorer" model from '75'76 ish.
If you look in the factory literature section on our home page you can see it in the brochure .
I don't know how popular an option it was.
You might be able to get yours straightened and rechromed which is probably better than a chinese re pop.
71mishmash

Post by 71mishmash »

Cep62,
Well that helps a ton! I didn't think about an Explorer. That explains why I wasn't finding any info on it for 71. Seems like the mish mash of parts on this truck continues to surprise me. I considered having it straightened but there are not a lot of choices locally. Not fond of anything from China, and know it won't last.
I appreciate your time and the information about this bumper.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

71mishmash
I've been searching for a replacement front bumper that has the black horizontal pads and the bumperettes. I've not been able to find anything that has the proper mounting slots/holes for this style.
Am I crazy, or does no one make a repop of these? Was this not a popular option, could this be a bumper off of a different brand from that time or do I need to just buy a repop and give it the proper mounting locations for these add-ons? The one on the truck is bent and as I start to do things to this truck I'd like to have a straight front bumper. I'm going to try and make my own push bumper and if possible keep the bumper add-ons.
Does anyone have any info about this kind of bumper or am I not looking hard enough?
I appreciate any bumper feedback you guys can send my way.
Respectfully,
Sean
Sean they're more commonly referred to here as the SPORT bumper and yes, they are like finding hens teeth.
Edit...that might not be the sport bumper-hard for my eyes to see but is that black plastic or rubber on the top of it?
And the sport bumper push bars are even harder to find if memory serves me right.
After fleabay/DC/LMC/Green Sales/ and NPD I'm not sure other than like CEP said above is to have your recrhomed.

CEP help me out here...I thought the frame rail width was like an inch wider on the dent era, (don't most guys here have to redrill the cabs when dropping them onto dent era frames)? :hmm:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

basketcase0302 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:44 am CEP help me out here...I thought the frame rail width was like an inch wider on the dent era, (don't most guys here have to redrill the cabs when dropping them onto dent era frames)?
The rear frame is a few inches wider from '73-'79 , the front is the same so the front bumpers interchange.
Except the 3/4 ton 4wd (Highboys) till '77 1/2 still had a narrow frame
I think the only cabs that need to be drilled is the rear mount on the 4wd 3/4 tons but I'm not for sure.
Also I just remembered , I swapped a snowplow mount from a 3/4 ton to a Bronco both '78 models and had to narrow it down a little .
The 3/4 frame was made so the front bumper would still work.
71mishmash

Post by 71mishmash »

Jeff & Cep,
Thank you for the help here. Yes, the bumper has a rubber impact strip across the top there. I've been looking and think I've found something close, but have resigned myself to the fact that I'll have to modify it to make it look right and have these pieces fit back on. LMC has one that has all the holes but many of the parts I've ordered from them are not lasting and are causing me lots of issues. I ordered the rubber floor mat and it didn't make it 6 months before it started cracking and coming apart.
I know it's not OEM quality and is probably made in china but I'm considering it as there just isn't much out there choice wise. On their website they have it listed as fitting a full sized Bronco. At this point there are so many different parts that make this truck up it's just hard to keep track of it. Some, like the bumper I'm still trying to figure out.
Guys, I appreciate the input very much!
Respectfully,
Sean
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

71mishmash wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:07 pm On their website they have it listed as fitting a full sized Bronco
78 , 79 trucks and Broncos have a different shape , although they will bolt on the same.
Fraser

Post by Fraser »

Here is what I know, (or think I know) about re-pops. Factory bumpers are pressed under thousands of pounds pressure, Chinese sources try to do the same with inferior tools, under far less pressure. As such, they use thinner metal, and the contours are not as sharp.
I had one which was about 1/3 the gauge it should be, purely decorative. Even the Ford bumper is flimsy, anything thinner will offer no protection. Also, the bumperettes may have gaps, if the bumper contours are off, which may be the reason no one makes the one you want.
As I don't know what direction you are taking your truck, I wont suggest what to get, however, sometimes they are simply kinked above the bolts, I just press them back to shape, for a driver.
Chrome shops are an endangered species, due to environmental regulations, there are none left in my province, and few left in other provinces. They are charging for "show chrome", but doing collision repair quality work.
F. Noble, Saskatchewan.
Fraser

Post by Fraser »

cep62 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:46 am
71mishmash wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:07 pm On their website they have it listed as fitting a full sized Bronco
78 , 79 trucks and Broncos have a different shape , although they will bolt on the same.
I think the bumper was a running change, and a few '78s had the earlier bumper. The later type is a lot stronger. (I was working at a L/M dealerships body shop in '79)
F. Noble, Saskatchewan.
71mishmash

Post by 71mishmash »

Fraser,
Interesting observations. I kind of figured the re-pops were thinner and inferior to OEM, but I don't have the luck of finding a survivor in a field some do. Been looking all over as well. There is a guy I've spoken in Oregon, I think. We've talked about the bumper, a few other items and he has been looking for me as well.
I've investigated re-chroming in my area and other than the earl schibe kind of place, nothing of note. So, my thought was that in a trip back to see family in Detroit this summer, I'd take mine OEM one and see if it is fixable and could be dipped and redone. My brother-in-law lives there and is a mustang guy and knows several places to have it done. I'm also taking some mustang buckets back and having a friend of his redo them for me. He does some outstanding work.
If the bumper is fixable then that's how I'll go, but if not I'll go with a re-pop.
My plans for the truck are, in my mind, simple, hahaha, the reality is that it'll be quite a bit of work. I've spent time amassing parts, doing research for this and that and I've done some work/upgrades already. 460 for towing large water tanks, 76 HD front axle swap,& disc conversion on rear axle, chassis has been redone with por15, painted, new rubber body mounts, new clutch/brakes/master cylinder/brake booster/ axel bearings/seals/shocks/transfer case reseal, gas tank cleaned/internally coated, but the truck needs some nervous system tlc. I have an American Auto wire harness to install with some upgrades, (trailer braking/lights, cab lights, a light under bed rail, a rally pac for the steering column as I'd like a tach/clock and a 1 wire alt upgrade for larger amp output) I have new springs to replace some very worn ones that I'd like to save and see about being redone. Some rims/tires and possibly at some point down the road when I can find the $ paint/bodywork. It's in pretty good shape and has minimal cancer. Some very minimal rust, about quarter size on floorboard corners by the font of the scuff plates, but I'd like to refresh it. If not, it's still a good looking truck and I love to drive it. I have a corner of the barn with tons of new parts but need to finish some barn & field irrigation projects before I can commit space to the truck. My honey-do list never seems to shrink either so there's that too...
Again, I appreciate the insight. Every little bit helps!
Fraser

Post by Fraser »

To be fair, some re-pops are better than the one I mentioned, but check the thickness, if you can, before buying. I thought LMC had the explorer bumper a few years ago.
They were optional on other trucks, I have a '77 ranger xlt with one, but it's bent and broken beyond use. They were not rare when new, but time has reduced the supply, and survivors got snapped up quickly from wreckers.

Good luck with the seats, my '67 was a bucket seat truck, but the previous owner swapped in a bench. I'm looking for cores, but Mustang people want crazy prices for them.
F. Noble, Saskatchewan.
Fraser

Post by Fraser »

I just saw one on farcebook marketplace. Obviously a long way away, but thought I'd mention it. Item/376602627939509, in St Paul county, AB. Probably would cost a grand with shipping though!
F. Noble, Saskatchewan.
71mishmash

Post by 71mishmash »

I have the seat cores, and they are sitting with all the other parts in the barn waiting on me. I just got my Marti report to understand the interior color etc. but I noticed that the report is very different than what I was finding doing my own research, so it's nice to have that verification. Back to the seats, I also see how expensive the replacement covers, foam and other items are, yes, it is crazy. I picked up my bucket seat set at a flea market about a year ago. I can ask my brother-in-law if he knows of any one who has seats they are looking to off load if you'd like? Not sure, he might even have a set but I'd have to ask.

I don't have any of the SM platforms, I retired from the AF in 2015 and and was always told what a risk they were and so I've steered clear of them, and these kinds of forums are about as close as I get to SM.... old fashioned style but it works. There were a good deal of our service member names and social sec #'s on paperwork we found in the caves in Afghanistan so I've tried to keep family safe and not put a bigger target on my back. LOL. That said, this won't be the last time I get the short end of the stick due to not being on there. I have a Marine buddy who gets darn near everything but food off of there. He's an IT guy so he can navigate the pit falls better than I, and it wouldn't be long before I did something stupid and got in trouble on them.

Hope the holidays were good for you!
Fraser

Post by Fraser »

I understand your sm reluctance, I also try to limit my exposure, but it's getting harder all the time to exist in this world, without a presence. But, as I have said before, hackers are like Covid, they are everywhere, they adapt faster than we can, and they will never go away!
Thanks for the seat offer, but shipping cost would exceed any savings, There have been some sets come up nearby, but I hate to spend $400 bucks on cores that need everything replaced, perhaps I'm just living in the past.
The bumper I saw looked like NOS Ford, but he wants $500.00, and I don't know if he will ship or not. I don't even know where you are, but it's not worth driving a thousand miles for a bumper! ,
I am going to get a Marti report, but I want to confirm the serial # first. I got one for my Lincoln, it has a lot more info. than I thought.
F. Noble, Saskatchewan.
71mishmash

Post by 71mishmash »

Agreed, so hard to not have exposure in one form or another. And also agree about driving that distance for a bumper... NOS is an awesome find when it works! I picked up an antennae and a heater cable that I'm excited to use as both OEM parts have seen better days and don't work as well as they should. It is 55 yrs old, I'm not complaining, just know they've done well for enduring use, elements etc..
I'm in Montana you are north of me right?
Yeah, the Marti report had a good deal of info, more than I thought and I didn't get the deluxe version, mine was the middle one and has been useful.
They will also do a new vin tag too, I thought that was kind of cool.
My seat cores were about $300 factoring in a few other parts and fuel that day. But, in order to re-do them it'll be $4-6 hundred I think if I don't use the TMI stuff, I go that route it'll be $1200 no problem!
I say 4-6 because I'm going to get out of my comfort zone and try them myself and am budgeting for learning curve....we'll see how it goes.