68 F250 C6 trans bushing (different question than previous post)

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

Vwbuggin69

68 F250 C6 trans bushing (different question than previous post)

Post by Vwbuggin69 »

Okay, hopefully someone can help me out here. I am trying to install a shift bushing on C6 trans. However, I am reading conflicting things. Mine is a 68, and there are some posts that say that 68s did NOT come with a shift bushing but an e-clip. Can anyone confirm this? If there is supposed to be a bushing, how the 🤬 are you supposed to install it? I’ve heated it, boiled it to soften, attempted to press, everything to no avail. Lastly, does anyone know the size of the e-clip so I can have 100 on hand because those things like to break. Thank you!
1969 VW Beetle (Daily)
1968 F-250 (Walter)
Weber grill hoarder
ISS Protection Team
Fraser

Re: 68 F250 C6 trans bushing (different question than previous post)

Post by Fraser »

You may have been sold an incorrect part. The correct name Ford uses is "Oil seal (Manual control lever)", 3/4 I.D. x 1 1/16 O.D. x 7/32 thick.
C6 was first used in '66 Lincoln. I have one, and it has this seal, which is part # C7AZ 7D498 A. (updated #).

Edit, I may have misread your question because you said you tried boiling it, are you referring to a rubber seal, or a brass bushing? A bushing may need to be machined in, it may have been a running change, and not needed unless the hole is worn.
F. Noble, Saskatchewan.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

I believe you're talking about the shift linkage that goes to the transmission.
The bushing isn't too hard to install , If I remember right.
If yours is supposed to take an E clip the groove on the shaft should be narrower than the one made for the plastic bushing. and the hole would be a closer tolerance.
Now if the groove seems too big for an E clip , you can try a hair pin clip. it's like a clip for a trailer hitch only smaller.
if the hole is too loose you may be able to fab a bushing. maybe start with a door hinge bushing.
Vwbuggin69

Post by Vwbuggin69 »

Fraser wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:35 pm You may have been sold an incorrect part. The correct name Ford uses is "Oil seal (Manual control lever)", 3/4 I.D. x 1 1/16 O.D. x 7/32 thick.
C6 was first used in '66 Lincoln. I have one, and it has this seal, which is part # C7AZ 7D498 A. (updated #).

Edit, I may have misread your question because you said you tried boiling it, are you referring to a rubber seal, or a brass bushing? A bushing may need to be machined in, it may have been a running change, and not needed unless the hole is worn.
Thank you Fraser for the response. As far a boiling it, I was referring to the nylon bushing itself. That nylon bushing is suck a PITA I can’t even begin to tell. I can always just try to slap a door pin bushing in it and call it a day.
1969 VW Beetle (Daily)
1968 F-250 (Walter)
Weber grill hoarder
ISS Protection Team
Vwbuggin69

Post by Vwbuggin69 »

cep62 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:31 pm I believe you're talking about the shift linkage that goes to the transmission.
The bushing isn't too hard to install , If I remember right.
If yours is supposed to take an E clip the groove on the shaft should be narrower than the one made for the plastic bushing. and the hole would be a closer tolerance.
Now if the groove seems too big for an E clip , you can try a hair pin clip. it's like a clip for a trailer hitch only smaller.
if the hole is too loose you may be able to fab a bushing. maybe start with a door hinge bushing.
Thank you cep62. I currently have 2 e-clips on it. I never thought of using a hair pin but may if I throw a hinge pin bushing in there to prevent metal on metal contact.
1969 VW Beetle (Daily)
1968 F-250 (Walter)
Weber grill hoarder
ISS Protection Team
Fraser

Post by Fraser »

Okay, now I understand the question, I was thinking of the part which installs inside the trans.
The grommet which goes on the bell crank can be a pita, if that's the one. The shop manual shows a tool for it, but I haven't made one yet. anyway, you have to press on the outer shoulder of the grommet, pressure on the hole squeezes it smaller. Actually, just putting a nut around the shoulder may help.
F. Noble, Saskatchewan.