Original Rims and Hubcaps

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

Ferris95

Original Rims and Hubcaps

Post by Ferris95 »

I’ve been trying to research some OEM hubcaps for my 1968 F-250 Ranger Camper Special. It has aftermarket rims on it now, except the spare which is original. They are all 16.5” 8 lug rims.
I have all kinds of questions. I only see original hubcaps in 15” size on LMC, Dennis Carpenter and NPD. Nothing for 16.5”. Do they have hubcaps for the 16.5” rims? I have to buy all new rims as mine are junky and rusty, so I am open to a different size that will fit the original 8 lug pattern as I don’t want to change from the original hubs unless it’s not to difficult.
If I wanted to go non-OEM, what size rim and tire would I need to fill the wheel opening, but not hinder steering or come close to hitting the fender well? Love to have more options in tires than the ones that are on it now, as that is the only tire I can find for a 16.5” rim.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
68 F-250 Ranger Camper Special 390 FE
Retired Army
Fraser

Re: Original Rims and Hubcaps

Post by Fraser »

They were either 16" split rims (tube type), or 16.5, optional in '68.
Unless you're trying to remain stock, most people prefer '80's one piece 16" rims, but they are a bit narrow for oversize tires. My '67 has 16" split rim "innie" type, meaning they took 9" hubcaps, (rare) 'I'm not sure what caps '68 used, later ones were 12". All 3/4 tons used the same bolt pattern, through about '97ish, but some (Chevy) have a smaller center, and will not fit over the rear axle hubs.
A selection of hubcaps can be seen on this sites tech page, scroll down to hubcap id. '68 3/4 ton only had center caps. Later trucks were available with full caps. Starting in '73, 15" hubcaps were used with adaptors on 16.5s, I have them on my '84 with 16" rims, they are a very tight fit, but will go on, a 16" hubcap with 8 bolts was offered a couple of years later, for 16" rims.

Edit, I posted a page from the '73 MPC in my for sale ad "hubcaps anybody", on this forum. It will show the part # for the 3/4 ton cap and adapter.
F. Noble, Saskatchewan.
Ferris95

Post by Ferris95 »

Hey Fraser, I can’t find the Hubcap ID page you are talking about. New here and obviously not that good at finding things! Thanks!
68 F-250 Ranger Camper Special 390 FE
Retired Army
Fraser

Post by Fraser »

I, also, am new here, and really bad with computers. I tried to create a link, but to no avail.
Go to the FORDification homepage, Technical articles, scroll down to Susp, Steering, brakes, it's the last section.
F. Noble, Saskatchewan.
390xlt

Post by 390xlt »

I think this should get you there: http://fordification.com/tech/hubcapID.htm
1970 F100 Ranger XLT 390 3 speed