Accidental battery cable mix up- 1972 -360V8

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Brian

Accidental battery cable mix up- 1972 -360V8

Post by Brian »

Hi everyone, I could use some help on this as I'm completely at a loss.

I picked up a new battery and started the installation. Both of my battery cables are red and I got them mixed up. I first grabbed the negative cable and mounted it on the positive post, then grabbed the positive cable and I barely made contact with the negative post and you guessed it.....threw sparks and all hell broke loose. I immediately pulled the cable back off. Stupid mistake on my part and now I'm paying the price. The result? My truck won't start, it won't even turn over, not even a click. I replaced the starter solenoid and ignition switch. I checked every fuse I can find. I traced wires down looking for a melted wire but nothing. I'm lost. Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated!

Brian
Jbarnes79

Re: Accidental battery cable mix up- 1972 -360V8

Post by Jbarnes79 »

Check with a multimeter that one of the pins on the ignition switch connector has 12 volts available to it with the switch off. If so, have someone move the switch to the start position and see if 12 volts is available to the small solenoid terminal that activates the solenoid. IIRC neither of these two wires are fused so it should give you a good idea which one of these wires you should check for burned wiring or poor connection.

It may be wise to have your alternator tested to make sure it's good also.
http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67810

1969 F250 4x4
1969 F250 Crew cab (Sold)
1972 F250
1969 & 1970 Mustang
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

you replaced the solenoid . make sure it's bolted tight , I like to put a ground wire from the battery to the bolt to make sure it's grounded.
You can jump it by putting power to the small stud by the pos side. be careful it will turn over in gear.
A volt meter and test light are your friend.
make sure you have good cables also if you have the clamp on ends those will cause trouble.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

Oh. Welcome to our site.
:wel:
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Brian
Hi everyone, I could use some help on this as I'm completely at a loss.

I picked up a new battery and started the installation. Both of my battery cables are red and I got them mixed up. I first grabbed the negative cable and mounted it on the positive post, then grabbed the positive cable and I barely made contact with the negative post and you guessed it.....threw sparks and all hell broke loose. I immediately pulled the cable back off. Stupid mistake on my part and now I'm paying the price. The result? My truck won't start, it won't even turn over, not even a click. I replaced the starter solenoid and ignition switch. I checked every fuse I can find. I traced wires down looking for a melted wire but nothing. I'm lost. Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated!

Brian
The master wiring diagram for the 72' I'm posting here is huge. Being that you hooked up those two cables wrong I'm not sure if this will help you or not?
My first guess, (after the above info which is a good start) is that you might've fried the fusible link that powers the entire trucks wiring from the solenoid.

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4