Weird Turn Signal Issues + Brake Lights

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

LynnEdwards

Weird Turn Signal Issues + Brake Lights

Post by LynnEdwards »

Hello all! Working on a '68 F100.

So I bought my truck about a month ago and have spent most of that time trying to get the brake lights and turn signals to work.

The turn signals all worked and flashed when I bought it, but the shutoff cam was broken so I popped off the steering wheel to replace that. Had to solder two wires for the cam, got it all put back together... and now only the left rear turn signal works. :cry: I assume the problem would be something about how the upper and lower parts of the unit contact, but the cam is put on with a permanent retainer clip so to get it back off I'd have to break that clip and find a replacement... Here hoping there's a simpler solution.

The truck is suuuuuuuuper dusty. It was an outdoor farm truck for most of its life and has dirt baked into every crevice. I'm worried that's messing with my contacts or grounds or something.

The second issue is the brake lights. Those haven't worked since I bought the truck, but both the running and turn signal filaments in the bulb have proven to work so I know it's nothing in the back half of the wiring. It had a bad brake switch which I have replaced, but the lights still don't come on. The housing for the brake switch is fine, according to my multimeter, and has a current passing through it, so I can't for the life of me figure out what else could be keeping the lights from coming on. Help!
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Weird Turn Signal Issues + Brake Lights

Post by cep62 »

The brake light power travels up to the turn signal switch , then to the brake lights / turn signals.
Dust will keep them from working properly.
LynnEdwards

Post by LynnEdwards »

You were right! I ended up deep cleaning all the dust and grease and stuff out of the turn signal switch and all my lights work great now! Now time to move on to my big oil leak... 😬
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

I'm glad it was a simple fix .
Thanks for responding.