Anyone familiar with a 4x4x2 steering box

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

72Highboy
Preferred User
Preferred User

Anyone familiar with a 4x4x2 steering box

Post by 72Highboy »

Hello everyone, been a while since I have been on here. I have done some searching and have found some information but then it leads to more searching and new information.

I have been in the process of working on my F100 4x4 (not a highboy as my screen name says) and came to figure out that my gear box may have been a upgrade from a 73-'79 4x4 F150 and/or '78/'79 Bronco.

So my questions are;
1: Can anyone confirm the picture below is of a 73-79 F150 and/or 78-79 Bronco steering gear box.
I think from my research across bronco websites and from what I found on here is that it is but confirmation would be nice for searching for replacement seals.

2: Does anyone know which of the big auto parts stores sell the seals for the shaft at the bottom near the pitman arm? I think this is what I need based off cross referencing years and models on the site.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/pr ... ford-f-150

3: Is the gearbox in picture below considered a 4x4x2 conversion? From the information I read on classic broncos it gets confusing because it doesn't state clearly which way the factory gearbox pitman arm should be facing.

4: Should the factory gearbox pitman arm face the rear of the truck(towards the steering wheel) or should it face the front of the truck(towards the bumper)?

5: Does anyone know the spline count and size to the gearbox in the picture for the u-joint upgrade to get rid of the rag joint? Not that i don't want to count, it's currently disassemble to remove the bottom seals and trying not throw anything out of alignment.

Thank you all in advance and I appreciate any responses.

Joshua
aka Young Gun 8) :drive:
FE - Famous Engine
(Brandi) 72 F100 360 5.9L Sport Custom 6" Lift
U.S. Army Veteran/11B