C6 rebuild / compatibility questions

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

jtbinvalrico

C6 rebuild / compatibility questions

Post by jtbinvalrico »

My 69 F100, 360, 2WD, long bed, has a C6 that needs to be replaced. The C6 that's in it has a big hole cut in it by a prior owner so I'm looking for another to rebuild. This truck was born with a manual trans and was converted to a C6 at some point.....As I look for a C6 to rebuild, I have some questions and I'm hoping y'all can set me straight.

I'd really like to keep my truck on the road while I build the new C6. You'd think I could simply hunt for the correct C6 for this truck, but maybe not. I can find a C6 with an FE bell housing. What's confusing is the tail housings. Mine may have come off a sedan. The tail housing is stamped D1AP-7A040-AA. The internet says that fits a sedan, 1975-1996. I measured the length at 13 7/8".

My understanding is that I could take any of the older C6 FE pattern transmissions, pull it apart, and use the output shaft and tail housing on my current C6 for the rebuild......but I'd prefer not to have two transmissions and my truck apart on my first rebuild.
My concern about hunting for a "C6 from a long bed F100" is that whoever did this conversion maybe made decisions that might paint me into a corner - the driveshaft, for example.....I don't know how cobbled together it is, or if it's cobbled together. I've attached some photos showing what I have. What should I look for in these old C6's regarding the tail shaft housing? Will others fit up and work in my application? Thanks.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DuckRyder

Re: C6 rebuild / compatibility questions

Post by DuckRyder »

That's defiantly not a standard long bed truck C6, looks like you still have a 2 PC drive shaft.

What I would do is buy a stock long bed c6 for an FE and the driveshaft out of the same truck. You might get away with the front half... but as you say no telling what's messed with.

Is it a 9" rear?
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
jtbinvalrico

Re: C6 rebuild / compatibility questions

Post by jtbinvalrico »

Looks to be a 9" rear.....the cover on the front driveshaft side (the pinion retainer?) has a code of D2AW.....Wouldn't that suggest that the rear is from 1972? The tail shaft cover on the C6 now is stamped D1AP-7A040-AA. Isn't D1AP from 1971? The truck is a '69 and started life with a manual trans. :roll: Who knows what happened over the decades.

So, I can make it all correct....or I can roll with the way it's configured now. It all works. I just need to rebuild this C6 with a big hole cut in it.

If I just re-use the tail shaft cover that's on the C6 now, I should be in business. The wild card is the output shaft. I'm not sure how I can effectively measure the output shaft while it's presently in the truck - maybe that can be done. If I could identify that shaft, I'd just get one for my rebuild. That way my truck stays on the road while I rebuild the new C6. Then I'd just swap the tail shaft housing over and save myself all the trouble of figuring out what was done years ago.

Aren't there only two types of 2WD C6 slip yoke output shafts? 23 and 26 3/4 inches, with options of 6-9 speedo teeth? If I remove the tail shaft housing on my truck now, do you think I could determine output shaft length and speedo teeth count? I appreciate the help.