Seatbelt Retractor Repair

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Seatbelt Retractor Repair

Post by Mach428 »

Does anyone know where to get a seatbelt retractor repaired? My 1969 retractor won’t retract!
markguiver

Re: Seatbelt Retractor Repair

Post by markguiver »

I don't know if this will help, but when mine would no longer retract I found a solution that worked on mine. I removed them and sprayed the drum with a healthy dose of Simple Green and let it sit for a while. Then I soaked it in a bucket filled with hot water and Dawn dish soap. By then it was starting to retract, so I held it in the water and worked it in and out a few times. Then I rinsed it with warm water and blew it dry with compressed air, and sprayed a little WD-40 on the roller. Reinstalled it and it works like new. I guess all the junk spllled on it for 40-45 years gummed it up so the spring couldn't pull it back. Hope that's all yours needs.
Mark.
1975 F-250 4X4 (The Beast)
1971 Bronco Sport
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Mach428 »

I appreciate your response but mine must have a broken spring. The drum just rolls freely.
markguiver

Post by markguiver »

Sorry to hear that. When mine was acting up I was looking for someone who repairs them and did find a couple that seemed promising. I ended up fixing it by cleaning it and never followed up on it. I can't remember who I was looking at now, so I'm not going to be any help there, sorry. Maybe you can find a functional one at a wreaking yard that you can replace it with or use for parts.
Mark.
1975 F-250 4X4 (The Beast)
1971 Bronco Sport