Correct Steering Column Color

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

Blued Steel

Correct Steering Column Color

Post by Blued Steel »

I have a ‘70 F250 CS / Ranger that’s had a lot of poor past work done and parts swapped out so I’m not always sure what’s original and what’s not.

The truck was originally two tone with the E7 paint code (Sky View Blue w/ Harbor Blue). The dash is the original Sky View Blue but the steering column is a different, darker blue (not sure if it is Harbor Blue or not and the truck has been repainted non-original so I can’t compare).

My question: is the column supposed to be the same color as the dash? Or was it often a different accent color?

Question #2: is the shift collar always the same color as the column? Mine was replaced and is unpainted.

Question #3: is the rubber donut in the last picture original? It was located on the column before the firewall on the interior side. No part number on it and I don’t find it in online diagrams.

I’m rebuilding the column currently and want to correct what’s wrong.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DuckRyder

Re: Correct Steering Column Color

Post by DuckRyder »

See http://fordification.com/library/pictur ... tegory/183

This is probably medium blue poly - a paint store can mix it.

Yes it should be painted.

That looks original - around the base of the column. it is different for a power steering truck though. and last time i checked no one reproduced the PS one.

I cant promise but cruise though my project thread - i may have a picture of some of this.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Blued Steel

Re: Correct Steering Column Color

Post by Blued Steel »

Interesting, thanks for your help. I didn't realize Ford only used about 4 colors for the column. The paint code is PPG and my local paint store carries BASF products and said they couldn't cross reference a PPG number that old. So we pulled out a metallic color fan deck and matched it up to the old color as best we could. Now that I've sprayed it, it's a decent match, but not perfect. Next time maybe worth a drive to a PPG store and see if they can cross reference a number that old. You'd think yes, but I half expect they'd say no too.