Door lock cylinder operation

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

green71F100

Door lock cylinder operation

Post by green71F100 »

Hello there gents!

I had to get a key made for the door locks. The key works great in the lock UNTIL you put it in the door. After that it will only unlock the door but not lock with the key. The whole point of the lock feature is to be able to lock it with the key as pushing the button down doesn't work because you close the door and it pops back up. Is this normal or am I missing something here?
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

yes the knob pops back up when you shut the door. that is normal.maybe the key isnt cut right for the pins in the lock. did they switch out the pins in the lock when they got rekeyed? or did they make a key for the pins?
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

did you get the lever at the back of the lock lined up correctly? if it is under the opening in the linkage it'll unlock fine but not lock as it won't be pressingagainst the deal that moves the lock.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
green71F100

re: Door lock cylinder operation

Post by green71F100 »

Fordman, they cut the key according to the pins. It works fine both ways, then when it's installed it only unlocks, it doesn't lock.

rjewkes, the lever on the back of the cylinder fits in between the fingers on the latch right??
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

yes correct wondering if your lock knobs are not keeping it from going down as they sometimes catch on the lip of the hole.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
green71F100

re: Door lock cylinder operation

Post by green71F100 »

Thanks for that info, but they are not interfering. And the latch is pretty loose, it's not too hard to lift the lever. Anyone?
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

its probably the key or the pins are worn.