SPEEDDOMETER SENDING UNIT HELP

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
ladz

SPEEDDOMETER SENDING UNIT HELP

Post by ladz »

Ok, i have a fmx trans and i change the gauges my old cable has a gear on the end that goes into the trans but the sending unit the comp. sent to me a prong on the end there is no way to connect to the trans . the cable ran down from the speedometer to the trans the end that went into the trans has a hold down clip with a retainer bolt to hold the gear in place what do i do ? :hmm:
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

so the cable wont fit or stay in the transmission? i thought they were all the same hook up. or the cable won't fit into your speedometer? i thought those were all the same too.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: SPEEDDOMETER SENDING UNIT HELP

Post by FORDification »

You said you changed the gauges....did you get an electric speedo instead of a mechanical unit? If so, you might want to see if you can exchange that for a mechanical piece.

You can make an electrical speedo work, but it means installing a special sending unit, which converts mechanical motion to electric current. Here's an article dealing with installing new gauges in an older Ford truck, in which they're using an electric speedo too, and shows the hookup:

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/howto/26639/
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
ladz

Post by ladz »

Yes, i did get an electric speedo with a sending unit ! But what i do not understand is how to connect it to the trans. the article shows the sending unit and how the clamp and bolt holds it in but , do you see the large nut on the sending unit what does that screw into ? The cable that i have this a large gear on the end that inserts into the trans and is retained by a clamp and bolt as shown in pics. Is there a part that i need that is installed into the trans and then the sending unit mounts to it ? the sending unit has just a cable end with the large nut on the end ! Even if i cut the end of the old cable for the part that inserts into the trans, there is no way to mount the sending unit to the gear . So i must be missing a part or just don't understand ! I would have got a mechicanical but it's not available in the style i chose , "classic instruments"
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

The large nut in the photo screws into a thread just like at the back of the Factory Speedometer.

I don't recall how the transmission end of the cable is, but are you saying that the cable is made onto the gear holder that bolts into the transmission.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
ladz

Post by ladz »

Yes, but the gear will come off with a clip but it can't mount to the sending unit! and even if i could there is no way to retain the sending unit to the trans ! I have that sending unit , but my old cable end is like a oil dip stick it slides into the trans and is retained by a bolt and clamp!, as shown.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

you wont be able to hook that up. with out a different tailhousing
ladz

Post by ladz »

Ok and ? tail housing?
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

thats the part of the transmission that the speedo cable goes into.
ladz

Post by ladz »

I under stand that, tell me about the part i need!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i don't know. it depends on what the cable is suppose to hook into. i mean what application. which vehicle. if you bought this new and they said it would work then they lied. send it back. other wise you'll have to get the fitting or mayb the whole tailhousing off of what ever the cable came off of. the cable isn't a older ford truck cable. as far as i have seen.
ladz

Post by ladz »

This is my cable V.S. the new sending unit.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

looks like you just need a gear to put on it. or a adapet type of box or something.
ladz

Post by ladz »

Yes, look at the web that keith sent me to an it is the same sending unit , but look at the clamp holding it to the trans , it is under the large nut! Sorry about the cap my son just told me i was yelling! There must be some type of adaptor for this!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

where did you get this thing from and weren't there any application specific instructions with it. i see the pic your talking about. i say the same thing you have something missing in the kit you bought.