Power steering throwing up.

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

Snogoer

Power steering throwing up.

Post by Snogoer »

Why does my power steering puke up fluid after I turn OFF my truck?
Its a 1970 4x4 390ci. It has the proper amount of fluid, BUT power steering fluid was added (instead of f type fluid) once out of habit, which should have been purged with its latest sickness.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Power steering throwing up.

Post by FORDification »

Does it look like straight fluid coming out or is it more foamy? If the pump is overfilled it will foam up.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Snogoer

Post by Snogoer »

It's mostly foamy. Is it also normal for it to be noisy when overfilled? I've been putting the truck back together slowly for the last year or so due to the hood going up at 60 mph, so it has been sitting awile. Mabey it just needs to loosen back up.......? ...any thoughts?
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

Only bad thoughts on this subject right now....I replaced my p/s pump because it was so dang noisy and now my steering box is leaking fluid... :x
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Try this; Start the truck and turn the steering all the way to the lock. Turn off the engine and leave it for 1/2 hour or so. Start engine, turn to opposite stop and repeat. This should release any trapped air. If it is still foaming get a couple quarts of P/S fluid, pull the return hose from the pump and run the engine while catching the return fluid in a suitable container. Refill and bleed the air again. I think P/S fluid and ATF should be compatible. When these trucks were built there was no such thing as P/S fluid, the factory called for type F tranny fluid. The power steering fluid is just more refined and takes the heat better. Mixing different types of ATF is a whole different can of worms.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Snogoer

Post by Snogoer »

Hey thanks. Its much better now. Now if I can get it to pass the smog test it'll be ready to go!

Thanks again!