highboy power assist ram (seal replacement)

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

montana_hiboy

highboy power assist ram (seal replacement)

Post by montana_hiboy »

I just picked up a new seal kit for my highboys power assist ram, i haven't tore into the old ram yet, i've heard you need to cut the ram open to install the seals then weld it back together, is this info correct? or can the seals be installed without cutting and welding the ram? thanks in advance.
Jim

'75 Ford Highboy 390 4spd
montana_hiboy

Re: highboy power assist ram (seal replacement)

Post by montana_hiboy »

Thanks for the reply, surprisingly enough, the stem is in really good shape with the exception of a very slight groove worn into it where the stem rides on the seal 90% of the time, i guess Ford considered these cylinders to be disposable, or at least last the life of the vehichle as there's no practical way to service the stem and/or piston seal, short of cutting them open and welding them back together.
Jim

averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

montana_hiboy wrote:Thanks for the reply, surprisingly enough, the stem is in really good shape with the exception of a very slight groove worn into it where the stem rides on the seal 90% of the time, i guess Ford considered these cylinders to be disposable, or at least last the life of the vehichle as there's no practical way to service the stem and/or piston seal, short of cutting them open and welding them back together.

Thats how they all are. That means your stem isn't in really good shape, in fact it's not useable.

Anyone with a lathe that has threading capability can whip up a new stem from hard chrome stock in a short amount of time. A new one from decent stock will last much longer than the factory part.

Or you can get rid of the OE ram and use a real hydraulic cylinder and lines. Might even keep going and get rid of the push-pull valve too.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

if it has a groove from ring on the seal it will leak there everytime it gets to that position. even if it has a new seal. that goes for any seal or grooved shaft that contacts a seal such as the fe enigne sleeves or dampers with the sleeve made on.
montana_hiboy

Post by montana_hiboy »

The groove worn into the stem isn't a complete ring around the stem, it's only along the bottom 1/3 of the stem, it can't even be picked up visually, but if you run your finger nail across it you can feel it catch ever so slightly, so the wear is very minimal, but enough to lose a few drops of fluid every time i park, the fluid level on my dip stick drops about an inch every 6 months, so it's not losing much fluid, i really don't want to invest in a new cylinder, or a new stem considering the cutting/welding hassle that's involved, the cylinder's just fine if i left it as is, and i'd probably get another 5-10yrs of relatively leak-free service out of it, but i already have the new seals for it and figured it wouldn't hurt to replace the 36yr old seals with the new ones, the wear on the stem is so slight it most likely wouldn't even harm the new seals, but as a precautionary measure i'll polish the stem the best i can to try and eliminate all traces of the slight groove, if it still leaks afterwards so be it, at least i had an excuse to work on my truck for a few hours. :wink:
Jim

James72
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by James72 »

For sure polish it, it will leak the same with new seals it's the same as a scratch it an engine cylinder, a lengthways groove is the worst and if it will pick up with a finger nail or seal pick it is going to leak.
I wonder is a cylinder from something like a little skid steer machine would work?
hmmm
mine pretty much sprays oil out and for how exposed it is, I'm not surprised
'05 Mustang GT
'72 crew 4x4
'07 KTM 450 xcw
2006 F350 CC Diesel 4x4 Lariat